Almost every device we use to automate complex tasks uses artificial intelligence. However, we often argue that such devices are not “intelligent” but simply calculating tools after we learn how they work and use them in our everyday lives.
Today, implementing artificial intelligence in software development is a sign of progress and a way to design new, more innovative features. This article will present the best WordPress AI plugins for creating better websites.
How Is Artificial Intelligence Used in WordPress?
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a simulation of human intelligence demonstrated by machines. AI refers to different processes in computer systems that mimic human behavior, such as using logic and rules for decision-making and learning from analyzing data to improve performance (machine learning – ML).
Regarding WordPress, artificial intelligence improves different management processes, automates complex jobs, and tailors website content according to visitors’ expectations and search engines’ requirements. AI-powered plugins are becoming popular solutions to make sites faster, smarter, and more accessible.
Among the main tasks that AI plugins accomplish are:
- Boost website SEO. AI-powered plugins allow optimizing posts, pages, and other structures while they’re being created. Such plugins analyze website content, compare it to competitor data, and suggest changes that must be done to increase page views and attract an audience that relates to your content.
- Make websites more accessible. By designing accessible websites, you establish a better reputation for your brand and get through to more people. Many WordPress sites now use text-to-speech technologies provided by AI-based tools.
- Introduce smart assistants. Chatbots that use artificial intelligence can improve customer service because they are available 24/7. They can make human workers more efficient by completing low-end repetitive tasks.
Certainly, there are many more ways AI technologies can make websites better. But, sometimes, website owners must limit the usage of content-generating tools if they want their content to be visible on search engines. According to Google Search Advocate John Mueller, Google Search Console considers automatically generated content as spam. It seems Google doesn’t have the ability to detect auto-generated content, but I’m sure it’s on the way.
WordPress AI Plugins
Many WordPress plugins use artificial intelligence to facilitate website management and improve content. Here’s a list of the best plugins that implement AI for different tasks.
🏆 Best for adding structured data to WordPress sites.
WordLift automates website SEO by analyzing all content, adding structured data or schema markup to it, and making it more understandable to Google. This plugin uses artificial intelligence to identify distinct words on the site and turn them into metadata. During the process, users can manually choose which keywords are preferable, thus controlling how the website’s knowledge graphs look.
WordLift core features:
- organizing references to external sources and internal pages;
- suggesting related content to visitors leading them to archived pages and increasing user engagement this way;
- enriching text with rich snippets;
- integration with Google Data Studio tool for comprehensive analytics and reports;
- timeline, navigation, geolocation, and search widgets.
Pricing: the Starter plan costs $588 per year for one site and includes ten schema markups. The Professional and Business plans sell for $948 and $2399 per year, respectively, and they have more schema types and advanced features and can be installed on more sites.
- attracts an audience that is more related to the site’s content;
- enhances UX with content recommendations;
- free trial for 14 days.
- it still takes some time to learn how to use WordLift at its full capacity;
- no free version.
Akismet Spam Protection (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best automation tool to detect spam comments on WordPress websites.
Akismet was designed by a reputable WordPress development company Automattic to detect and block spam comments even before they are marked as pending. This tool proved to be especially effective against spam bots, and there are over five million active installations of it.
After installation on a WordPress site, Akismet is constantly improving its work thanks to machine learning algorithms. Website admins can review comments caught by Akismet and point out the spam comments that broke through the protection system, enabling it to learn from its failures.
Akismet core features:
- automatic detection of spam comments;
- integrates with WordPress plugins through Akismet API;
- provides spam detection history.
Pricing: free for non-commercial sites. Spam protection for commercial or business sites starts at $10 per month.
- solid protection against spam by bots;
- improving SEO ranking when deleting comments with spam links;
- free for personal use.
- most of the time not effective against human-made spam comments.
Quttera Web Malware Scanner (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best for detecting malware, viruses, and malicious codes using cloud technologies and artificial intelligence.
This plugin scans WordPress sites for malware, backdoors, worms, trojans, exploits, malicious iframes, malicious code injections, redirects, as well as other threats. The data is investigated on Quttera remote servers without changing any files. It also checks whether Google or other search engines blacklist your website.
Quttera Web Malware Scanner core features:
- scans for web threats in different forms;
- provides detailed investigation reports;
- learns to improve scan results by detecting false positives;
- provides blacklist status;
- detailed classification of threats in reports;
- tracks DNS attacks by monitoring DNS/IP.
Pricing: the free version is available with limited scanning options. The paid plans with a server-side malware scanner start at $120 per year for one domain.
- offers a complex scanner for web malware that uses cloud technologies;
- feeds from the intelligence database to improve malware detection.
- free version has limited options;
- doesn’t protect from threats, only detects them.
Translate WordPress – Google Language Translator (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best for adding Google AI machine translation to WordPress sites.
While the free version of this translator offers mediocre statistical machine translations, the paid version provides very accurate human-like translations into and from the English language. It stores the translated versions of your website on remote servers creating a separate domain for each language. This way, every translation is indexed, and users can find your content using their native languages.
Google Language Translator core features:
- hosting website translations;
- human-level translation quality;
- ability to manually modify translations;
- Google Analytics integration.
Pricing: the free version of this plugin is available. The paid version with all advanced features costs $400 per year.
- improves SEO by indexing translated pages;
- high-quality neural machine translation;
- free version can be helpful.
- to enjoy all advanced features, like translation hosting, you must buy an Enterprise plan, which is quite expensive.
Tidio – Live Chat, Chatbots & Email Integration (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best for managing emails, live chat, chatbots, and messages from one dashboard.
This plugin is an all-in-one communication solution. Its purpose is to upgrade the website’s customer service by offering various communication channels and boosting sales by providing automatic chatbots with many functional templates. It is easy to modify or even create chatbot templates from scratch using a drag-and-drop editor.
Tidio has one of the highest rankings on wordpress.org among live chat plugins, with over 100,000 active installations.
Tidio core features:
- managing all communication channels from one panel;
- chatbot templates for different situations to increase user engagement (cart saver, returning customers, etc.);
- drag-and-drug visual editor for working with chatbots;
- natural language processing (NLP) technologies to identify frequently used words and answer simple questions by the customers;
- seven-day trials on paid plans.
Pricing: most advanced features are available in the free plan, but they offer no chatbot templates and limit chatbot conversations to 100 visitors per month. The paid plans start at $190 per year.
- advanced chatbot builder for automation sales and customer support;
- intuitive interface and management;
- free version for small businesses.
- lacks integration with some major messengers (WhatsApp, Twitter).
🏆 Best for finding related website content and presenting it to visitors.
YARPP lets website visitors see posts, pages, and custom post types related to their original entries and finds them from across the site using advanced algorithms. It is estimated that related posts can increase page views by ten percent.
YARPP core features:
- inbuilt catching for subsequent inquiries;
- many options for placing related posts (shortcuts, blocks, widgets, REST API, and more);
- pre-built list or thumbnail templates to showcase related posts;
- compatible with all languages.
- the most popular related posts WordPress plugin;
- fully customizable;
- requires more server resources than similar plugins, which can be noticeable on larger sites.
ResponsiveVoice Text to Speech (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best for adding text-to-speech properties to WordPress websites.
This plugin uses a client-side HTML5 text-to-speech tool that supports over 50 languages and over 190 voices. You can activate the reading voice via buttons or by selecting the text by mouse.
ResponsiveVoice Text to Speech makes WordPress sites more accessible with such advanced features as voicing links and buttons when hovering with the mouse and complete site navigation using the keyboard.
ResponsiveVoice Text to Speech core features:
- 50+ languages supported by 190 voices;
- easy setup;
- compatible with most devices.
Pricing: the free version is fully functional but lacks some accessibility tools. The ResponsiveVoice Pro plan costs $49 per month.
- the ability to turn text into speech in a few ways;
- many advanced features in the free version.
- doesn’t offer a translation of the text.
🏆 Best for researching, writing, and optimizing content for SEO engines.
GetGenie is an AI assistant designed to accelerate the writing of high-quality original blog posts. This writing tool offers many templates to cover various frameworks, such as AIDA, BAB, and PAS. It also shows on-page SEO scores to optimize content instantly and provides valuable suggestions on creating SEO-friendly slugs.
GetGenie core features:
- 30+ templates for content writing;
- provides analysis of competitor data;
- idea generation tool for blogs;
- presenting on-page SEO score.
Pricing: the free version is available with some limitations. The paid version costs $228 per year.
- saves time for copywriters;
- starts checking content on SEO-friendliness during the writing process;
- has a free version and a 14-day trial on paid plans.
- offers fewer writing templates than some other content-generation tools.
Link Whisper (Free/Premium)
🏆 Best for building internal links on WordPress sites.
Link Whisper provides the easiest way to create internal links. Making intracontent connections with related posts on the website is often underused, but it may be necessary both for user engagement and improving SEO ranking. The plugin’s AI-powered engine analyses website content and suggests related posts and links in a newly created box under the written text.
Additionally, Link Whisper provides detailed reports of broken links and 404 errors.
Link Whisper core features:
- automatic link suggestions;
- in-depth link reporting;
- ability to fine-tune recommendations by deciding which keywords are relevant.
Pricing: free version is available. Paid plans add many advanced features, such as automatic and cross-site linking, costing $77 per year for one site.
- the free version has many useful functions.
- no free trial on paid plans.
🏆 Best for users who want to learn effective SEO practices.
RankMath is a popular AI-powered SEO plugin with over one million users. With its help, you can control which content is indexed and how it appears on search engines.
Multiple built-in suggestions make it easy to optimize website content and allow users to learn about the best SEO practices. Despite a large number of advanced features, its well-thought-out design and set-up wizard make RankMath easy to use, even for inexperienced users.
RankMath core features:
- 20+ pre-defined schema types;
- 30 in-depth SEO tests;
- smartlink suggestions;
- SEO-optimized breadcrumbs;
- detailed website analysis to identify SEO-related issues.
Pricing: the free version of RankMath includes many functions, and the paid version costs $59 per year and can be used on unlimited personal sites.
- feature-rich AI-powered plugin;
- numerous suggestions and a wizard make RankMath beginner-friendly;
- reasonable price on the paid version.
- some users report conflicts with other plugins.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a simulation of human behavior during the decision-making process by machines.
Machine learning (ML) is a part of artificial intelligence that defines the capability of machines to analyze inquired data to improve their performance.
We often use AI plugins to create virtual assistants, text-to-speech readers, spam protection and automate website SEO.
Artificial intelligence techniques find use in various spheres of our lives. AI-powered WordPress plugins offer advanced features to accomplish different purposes.
WordLift is an excellent solution for the automation of website SEO, and it gives the best results when combined with human-made instructions.
One of the most popular applications of artificial intelligence is creating virtual assistants which communicate with site visitors via chatbots and live chats. Tidio is the best WordPress plugin for this task.
The Google Language Translator plugin is the best tool for adding AI machine translators to WordPress sites.
Quttera Web Malware Scanner is an AI-powered plugin that can find most web threats on WordPress sites.
For anyone who needs to accelerate generating content and check it for SEO-friendliness, GetGenie is the best choice.
ResponsiveVoice Text to Speech is the best AI plugin that adds accessibility properties to WordPress sites, namely the text-to-speech tool.