How do you open a .RPMSG file, and what is it? An RPMSG file is used to store encrypted email messages. Without software explicitly designed, it was impossible to open email messages in RPMSG files.
Nevertheless, even after decryption, RPMSG files are not accessible to all. Only designated recipients are permitted to see messages encoded within RPMSG files.
It is important to note that Microsoft Outlook is the primary software that utilizes this format and is capable of decoding it and detecting and enforcing permissions.
Viewing what is in an RPMSG file is possible if you are on the recipients’ list and receive the file. Additionally, RPMSG files restrict permissions for forwarding and copying if you are not on the permission list.
This article will explain an RPMSG file, how to open it, possible problems with it, and how to convert it to a PDF file, DOC, or DOCX file.
What is an RPMSG file?
RPMSG files are protected email messages created by Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft’s email client, and the calendar application.
An email in the file has been encrypted, so only specific users can view it, print a copy, or forward it.
As an attachment to a standard email message, RPMSG files can be sent with the filename message.rpmsg.
There are two types of files with this extension:
Files containing Microsoft-restricted permission messages and those containing messages protected by the free Information Rights Management service developed by Microsoft and supported by Version 2003 and higher versions of Outlook.
Encryption is applied to the RPMSG message file, which recipients can view using Outlook.
Alternatively, Microsoft recommends installing the Rights Management Add-on for Internet Explorer, allowing users to view data protected by the Information Rights Management system.
The recipient of a restricted-permission message will only be able to view it. The message will be subject to printing, editing, and copying restrictions, as with any rights-managed HTML document.
The RPMSG file extension is primarily associated with Microsoft’s Restricted Permission Message file format, which enables secure email communication.
How to Open an RPMSG file?
Unlike plain text files, RPMSG files are compound binary files that cannot be viewed or edited using a text editor. Only specialized software can be used to access RPMSG files. This section will explain how to open an RPMSG file in various operating systems.
How to Open RPMSG File on Windows (Windows 10 and 11)?
Follow these steps to open an RPMSG file on Windows 10 and 11:
- Open the File Explorer application in Windows OS and locate the RPMSG file.
- Double-click the file to launch the corresponding application.
If you receive an error message stating that Windows cannot open a file when you try to open an RPMSG file in an application, then,
- Look for an application that is capable of opening the file.
If you are aware of an application that can open RPMSG files, then,
- Run it and verify that there is a File->Open main menu option.
Alternatively, if you are not familiar with the application that opens RPMSG files, then,
- Try searching online for “RPMSG viewer“, “application for opening RPMSG files,” or “open RPMSG files” queries in your preferred search engine
- Install the application and try opening the RPMSG file with it.
How to Open RPMSG File on macOS?
Follow these steps to open an RPMSG file on macOS:
- Open the macOS Finder and locate the RPMSG file.
- Double-click on the file to launch the corresponding application.
In the case that an RPMSG file cannot be opened in a macOS application and you receive an error message stating “There is no application set to open the file,” then,
- Click on “Search App Store” in the error message, and macOS will display applications compatible with the RPMSG file.
If you are familiar with an application for macOS that is capable of opening RPMSG files, then,
- Select “Choose Application…” in the error box to associate the file extension with the application and open the RPMSG file.
If you are not familiar with the application that can open RPMSG files, then,
- Search for “RPMSG viewer“, “app to open RPMSG files“, or “read RPMSG files” in your preferred internet search engine.
- Ensure that the application you found can read RPMSG files by installing it.
How to Open RPMSG File on Android?
Here are the steps you can follow to open an RPMSG file downloaded to your Android device:
- Tap on the “My Files” or “File manager” app in your device’s list of Android apps.
- Tap on the “Downloads” folder.
There should be an RPMSG file in the folder where you downloaded it.
- Tap on the file.
Depending on your Android device, the file you downloaded may be opened in the app of your choice.
If the file cannot be opened, then,
- Find an app that can open RPMSG files by searching for “RPMSG” in the Android App Store.
Sometimes you cannot open a file with an app from the Android app store, and the file must be opened with a desktop application such as Windows or Mac, then,
- Check the internet for “RPMSG viewer” or “RPMSG file reader” to see if you can find any desktop applications that support RPMSG.
Note: Also, it is possible that the file you have downloaded has become outdated and no longer supports it.
How to Open RPMSG File on iPhone or iPad?
The following steps will assist you in opening the RPMSG file on your iOS device:
- Open the Files application on your iPhone or iPad.
If you swipe down the home screen, then type “Files” in the search bar, you should be able to locate it.
- Tap on the Downloads folder on the Files app.
Here you will find a list of the recently downloaded files.
- Tap on the RPMSG file.
When you have the appropriate application installed, it will automatically launch and open your document.
If you do not have the appropriate application to open the file, then,
- Search the Apple app store for “RPMSG.”
By doing so, you can identify applications capable of opening RPMSG files.
If this does not resolve your problem, it may be possible that your file will only open by the desktop application, then,
- Look for “RPMSG viewer” or “RPMSG file” online to find an app that can open on a desktop.
Possible Problems With The RPMSG Files
Suppose you cannot open and operate the RPMSG file. In that case, this does not necessarily indicate that you do not possess the software on your computer.
Other problems may prevent you from operating the Microsoft Restricted Permission Message Format file. Below is a list of potential problems:
- A corrupted RPMSG file is being opened.
- Links to the RPMSG file in the registry entries are incorrect.
- Deletion of the RPMSG description from the Windows registry by accident.
- RPMSG-compatible application not fully installed.
- This RPMSG file has been infected with undesired malware.
- There are insufficient hardware resources available on the computer to cope with opening the RPMSG file.
- The computer’s drivers for opening an RPMSG file are out of date.
In most cases, you should be able to use your programs without any problems if you are sure these factors are not present in your case or have already been eliminated.
In this case, the problem with the RPMSG file may not be solved due to another rare problem with the RPMSG file. There is only one thing you can do in this situation: ask for professional assistance.
How to Convert RPMSG Files to PDFs?
Due to RPMSG being an encrypted format, online conversion extraction and viewer tools cannot be used to convert it.
For the conversion to be successful, you must extract the content of the RPMSG file using either Microsoft Outlook or the Azure Information Protection Client.
You must log in with your e-mail account to one of these applications and, depending on your permission, view the encrypted e-mail message in the RPMSG file.
It will be possible to view and print it. However, some messages in the RPMSG format may not be able to be printed due to their permissions. Below is a brief description of converting the RPMSG file to pdf format.
Convert RPMSG to PDF with Microsoft Outlook
Follow these steps to convert RPMSG to PDF with Microsoft Outlook:
- Download and install Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Log in with an e-mail account that has permission to view messages in the RPMSG file.
- Choose the File, then the Print in the main Microsoft Outlook menu.
- Choose “Save Print Output as” and specify where the PDF file should be saved.
Convert RPMSG to PDF with Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client
Follow these steps to convert RPMSG to PDF with Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client:
- Download and install Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client with the e-mail account that has permission to view the messages stored in the RPMSG file.
- Choose the File, then the Print from the main Microsoft Outlook menu.
Note: This feature may not be available if the document does not have printing permissions.
- Select “Save Print Output as” and select the folder in which the PDF will be placed.
How to Convert RPMSG Files to DOC or DOCX Files?
As in the case of printing or converting an RPMSG file to a PDF, you must first decrypt the information contained in the file, using either Microsoft Outlook or the Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client to convert RPMSG files to DOC or DOCX files.
According to the server’s settings in the Information Rights Management (IRM) system, the file’s contents may be copied or saved in DOC or DOCX format.
If you are using Microsoft Outlook, follow these steps:
- Select the File, then the Save As.
- Choose Word Document (*.docx) from the drop-down list.
If you are using Microsoft Azure Information Protection Client, follow these steps:
- Copy the contents of the e-mail and paste it into Microsoft Word.
- Save the file as a DOCX file.
This article has explained an RPMSG file, how to open it, possible problems with it, and how to convert it to a PDF file, DOC, or DOCX file.
It is our sincere pleasure to thank you for taking the time to read this article. Please use the comments section to post comments or questions.